domingo, 9 de setembro de 2018

Mike "Tapping Ninja" Guerrero


Mike "The Tapping Ninja" Guerrero, is a guitar shredder, known for his guitar work in Hirax and Grim Reaper, having his solo work out now, we had a chat with to know more about what he's been doing lately.

Q. - Hello Mike, tell us a little bit about your beginnings in the heavy metal world, what were your main influences, what lead you to be a metal guitar player?
Mike - I started lessons at 5 years old… but started playing at 3 years old...  (Peru) After seeing Saxon at the whiskey in 1982, when I was 15 I decided to make music my job...



Q. - Your solo album "The Tapping Ninja" is out now? What expectations do you have for this album?
Mike - I hope more people in Latin America will hear my Cd and see me play live and hopefully get inspired.

Q. - It was produced by Craig Goldy, how did that happen?
Mike - In 1990 Goldy was my guitar teacher.  He liked my playing and said we should make an album… we went from student/ teacher to artist/ producer.... he was my mentor for 10 years.



Q. - What other musicians are playing with you on "The Tapping Ninja"?
Mike – Craig Goldy played all bass and some guitar... Carmine Appice played some drums on some tracks.

Q. - Tell us a bit about your collaboration with Hirax, when did it start, was it around 2012 with "La boca de la bestia"? How did that happen?
Mike - Hirax - I started in 2011 to 2012, I played a show with another band I was in (Deathriders) and noticed there response was better lol... I asked to join... they said if you can learn 20 songs in 2 weeks you can go to Poland with us... I did… I played on the track “boca”.



Q. - Were you a Hirax fan before joining them?
Mike - Not a fan before or during, but now I am after watching them live lol (it was when I played with Grim Reaper in Peru, they played before us so I was able to watch).

Q. - Are you still active with Neil Turbin's DeathRiders?
Mike - No activity with Neil he tries to copy everything I do so I try not to see him... I used to love to hang out with him and think he’s an awesome musician/ a legend and very funny, I miss him very much… but like many he just doesn't like me.



Q. - And what about Grim Reaper? How did you join them?
Mike - We played a festival together in Peru where I opened as a soloist all by myself on stage like Stanley Jordan or Eddie Murphy (both heroes of mine)… lol       that’s how I met them… when I saw them in Hollywood at the whiskey, I was there guest... it was a dream come true for me … I was a big fan since I was in high school.

Q. - Will you be a Grim Reaper's member from now on, or you will be only collaborating with them live?
Mike - I’m not a member... just a special guest sometimes... a huge honour for me!

Q. - Are you preparing Grim Reaper's US tour by now?
Mike - Not sure when I will see them again… hopefully in Hollywood in October lol… it’s random.



Q. - What other projects have you been working so far?
Mike - I am currently a solo artist I travel to china I been to japan etc. I’ve played 2 sold out shows a day before in both countries and really, really big solo concerts with thousands of families waving glow sticks lol... people there like me and understand my music... they also like me as a person... I’m always looking for a band lol.

Q. - Being you very NWOBHM influenced, what do you think of this recent revival of the N.W.O.B.H.M., and all these bands reforming?
Mike - I think its super awesome… and very inspiring.



Q. - How's the Metal scene in Peru? In general? Is it hard for a heavy metal band to be booked?
Mike - Peru has a very very strong metal scene... everyone there is a metal head lol … there are a lot of guitar fans there also and they know great music. They also like  love Yngwie/ Paul Gilbert a super lot (I also do…) my parents are from Peru… if you want to play there you better be good lol… it’s not hard to play there if you are famous or from the 80s lol otherwise it can be hard (if you are good they will book you).  

Q. - How did you get the nickname "Tapping Ninja"?
Mike - Jennifer Batten nicknamed me “The Tapping Ninja” in 1990... it was a honor for me... she would always compliment me and was very nice. She would say I’m like a ninja cuz I’m good at tapping... a tapping ninja... a huge compliment coming from her (listen to flight of the bumblebee lol) she was my teacher/ sensei.



Q. - Anything more you want to say, to end up this interview?
Mike - An honor to do this interview!! Great questions!! I love to teach and I’ve been for doing that for 25 years. I’ve been playing every day for 38 years... I hope you can share this. EVERYWHERE (social media) so everyone finally knows my story... So people want to know lol. Many people ask these questions... also there are some Mike Guerrero/ Tapping Ninja wanna bees out there. But I’m the TAPPING NINJA!! Just ask my former teachers - Jennifer Batten/ Goldy/ Paul/ Bruce/ Schenker/ Roth/ Cavazo etc. they are MY Heros... I like to listen to classical music and think SIREN HEX. Is a great /new band so check them out! Thx!!!

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!




Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...