domingo, 18 de novembro de 2018

Obscure Nwobhm Releases (ONR)




Obscure Nwobhm Releases, is a label based in Greece that concentrates their editions on underrated NWOBHM bands, having worked with Goldsmith, Overdrive, Chain Reaction, Dealer, Omen UK and Montreaux amongst others. We had a chat with mainman George Arvanitakis, about this label.

Q. - Hello, how did your interest in the N.W.O.B.H.M. movement start?
George - Since my early days in the metal scene in the 80’s I was always fascinated on this particular kind of music especially after hearing Killers for the first time and also the first 2 albums of Saxon. In the late 80’s and the beginning of 90’s it was very hard for the people in Greece to hear or even know any bands of the nwobhm era. As far as I remember it was only 2 record stores that brought some “commercial” nwobhm records especially from neat records and EMI. All this mystery for discovering bands with only a single release or a single lp was the main purpose to get to know more about this great music movement.

Q. - And what do you think about all the N.W.O.B.H.M. movement, and the repercussion it had around the world?
George - For me it is one of the best music genre ever happened to music. The uniqueness of the bands, the pure feeling of the music, the different kind of musical styles is what made nwobhm great. From the music of maiden to the music of saxon and angelwith, the mystery of Pagan Altar or dawnwatcher, the evil and satanic Venom or Witchfynde to the more melodic rhythm of Praying Mantis , Lionheart, Saracen. There is simply not another style of music that had such effect on bands. Metallica started by copying nwobhm bands so did thousands of other later bands. You are not a metalhead if you are not listen to nwobhm. Simple as that.



Q. - How did the idea to create a label about the N.W.O.B.H.M. came up? Did you have any label experience before ONR?
George - ONR was my first label experience and was an instant idea, not planned. As I have told you earlier I always tried to find more bands to hear (which is something I will continue to do as long as I like music) and had the chance to meet or find band members. After finding many bands I thought myself why don’t you try to release something for the bands. ONR was, is and always will be my hobby, my spare time work, something to do to enjoy myself. I try to release anything I like first, to do what is best for the bands and make ofc a small profit that makes my family have an extra income.

Q. - The first ONR release was Charlie 'Ungry, how did that happen? What memories does it bring to you?
George - Charlie Ungry was one of my first findings after I got in contact with Andy Demetriou and bought from him the bands only single. We were talking for a long time since Andy is a great person and asked him if he had more songs of the band. After searching he send me some unreleased tracks from old tapes. The uniqueness of the band that tried to mix early nwobhm and rock music along with the great vocals made me ask him if the band was interested to release a cd with all the songs the band made. The band was excited and so we preceed. I have spent a lot of time to remix the songs and the sound from the raw demos tapes and thanks to M.Baron (my friend who takes care of the remixes) the cd finally made it as my first release. I am very happy about it since all the copies are sold out and due to the great response Charlie Ungry did also release the “Chester Road” cd to an Lp format that is also sold out and a re-release of their debut 7’’ was also released from a usa label. This indicates that I choose correct and now Charlie Ungry is a lot more known to the underground circles.

Q. - A year later you release Goldsmith, was it easy to convince them to release the compilation "Life Is Killing Me"?
George - Not at all. Pez liked the idea and had the honour of doing the cd with all the great tracks of Goldsmith. I know he liked the whole concept I did with the cd and the nwobhm fans loved the result. It was one of the best selling cds of the label. I am also happy that later was re-released from HRR as an Lp format and did well.



Q. - After four years of absence, ONR returns with the edition of Omen (UK) - Dragon Flight, was it hard to find NWOBHM to release?
George - Well I did made some great releases since I decided to do a small brake due to personal reasons. I have always kept in contact with bands people in my absence, when I returned I think Omen was the perfect band to sign and make a comeback. Thanks to my friend Zygmunt I got in contact with Phil and he was kind enough to agree on the release and send me anything he had about Omen. Since there was no logo and only a couple of old photos we decided to make the layout of the cd as an old medieval book. The result is excellent, the people like it, the reviews are great. If you do not own a copy act fast cause we are down to last copies.

Q. - How did you get in touch with Montreaux? And what expectations do you have for this new release "Night of the Hunter"?
George - When I heard the song “Flashlights” I knew I had to release it, I got in contact with Rob, which is one of the greatest persons I ever had the chance to talk and helped me make the first digital release of Montreaux. The band unfortunately only had 3 studio songs but a great live recording performance which features many songs filed with epic solos, excellent rhythm and the great vocals of Rob Byrne. All these along with the artwork and the cover will definitely make a great cd.

Q. - Is there any band that you saw a lot of potential to release, but in the end failed the agreement?
George - I was in contact with many bands from the era and offered them a deal but due to different reasons never had the chance to do it. The most known example was Random Black which we came to an agreement to release their cd (it was the ONR005) but I really cannot remember why it never happened that time. I have contact them again but I think that ONR was not the kind of label they want atm. I hope they make the cd cause it was a really good band and they have great songs that need to be released to the fans. Another example was the release of High Treason on a cd format, I even had typed the covers of the cd but suddenly nothing. Also I was one of the first ppl that found Traitor’s Gate but it was on the wrong time they were not interested. Fortunately they signed to HRR and now to No Remorse so their great musical work can be heard.



Q. - How do you see the heavy metal scene nowadays? Do you feel there's still interest about buying heavy metal records?
George - Heavy metal scene is always strong, I see the last years the return to the roots which means more re-releases, revival of the Lp format and the tape format, revival of old bands we always wanted to see (Cirith Ungol, Witchfynde, Heavy Load) and what is great for me is that a lot of new great bands release their stuff more easily, I personally love bandcamp and small labels and always buy everything I can from new bands or from great re-releases. As long as there is the underground there always be interest in buying stuff and not bootlegging or making music collection of youtube mp3’s.

Q. - Was there any time when thought about stop editing albums?
George - The 4 years I have stopped making music due to personal reasons though to stop the label but since there is no day pass without hearing music I think I will stop only if I do not have any money to make a release, or the people will stop hearing cds and lps.

Q. - Are some ONR releases out of print now? Will you try to re-release them?
George - Fortunatelly all the past releases are sold out. The only available cd for the moment is the Omen and the Montreaux (which I am expecting in 1 week). There are no plans to rerelease any of my past releases. My label does only one print that is why I call all my releases limited.

Q. - Do you feel there's still many "N.W.O.B.H.M. treasures" to be found out there?
George - There are countless nwobhm bands that are undiscovered or wait to be release their work on cd / lp. There are only 3 problems to be solved, the first one is the band to accept to give you their songs to hear and release them, the second one is the bands that they do not want to release their songs because they think it is not good or because the singer thinks it does not sing well, or the guitarist thinks it is not good and the third one been the one member is not agreeing with the others or they are not “good” friends anymore.



Q. - And what can you tell us about future releases?
George - As far as my future releases I have plans for the release of cd of Medusa Touch and also the beginning of the “Obscure Nwobhm Demo Series” that will feature bands that only had very few songs recorded. Expect some surprises also there J

Q. - Tell us a little bit about you, what's your background in heavy metal?
George - I started listening to music in 1987 when I first heard Live After Death of Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath. Since then I always tried to discover new songs music and bands. When I heard Killers from Iron Maiden I stucked with the band and for couple of years I only collected Iron Maiden stuff. Then I made my first band, I released my first fanzine, I made some appearances in rock / metal radio shows amongst others. I think I will never stop listening to metal and music till the day I die. All these years I have met a lot of great people from around the globe and I am pretty happy about it.

Q. - Is the project Vorphalack still active? What plans do you have for Vorphalack? Are you recording new tracks?
George - The band is active, we have done some tracks for a future release but there is no release date or something specific.

Q. - What leads a black metal singer to release N.W.O.B.H.M. albums?
George - A good question but I have no answer for that. Being a BM singer and in a BM band is something personal which I do not like to discuss or to spread, it is only for me. Black metal is a movement specific for black metal fans. NWOBHM is a movement which you can see a variety of music and people thoughts. With nwobhm and generally with heavy metal you can spread you love of the music to people it is more open minded. Black metal is a statement for yourself not for the public.



Q. - What do you think of this recent revival of the N.W.O.B.H.M., and all these bands reforming?
George - It was about time don’t you think? Now with internet it is easier to make your band known and more easy to do what you never manage to do in the 80’s. I personally like any new nwobhm cd / lp I see that comes from bands that never made it on time. It is never too late to hear the music these bands made. I support 100% these bands and the labels that are doing it.

Q. - Any last words to end up this interview?
George - Thank you very much for the chance to speak about the label. We need more bands to release in the near future. Anyone who knows any member of a nwobhm band get in contact to make more great nwobhm releases.

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...