sexta-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2018

Gothic Slam




From the ashes of Stryker, comes Gothic Slam, based in Jersey City, New Jersey, they recorded two albums in the late 80's, Killer Instinct in 88 and Just a Face in the Crowd in 89. We had a chat with lead singer Daniel Gomez.

Q. - Hello Dan, tell us a little bit about your beginnings in the heavy metal world, what lead you to be a metal singer?
Dan - ...My sister... I was always going thru her records. Lotta good stuff. Floyd, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder.



Q. - How did Stryker start? Were you a founding member? And who were the other members?
Dan - Dave and Claudio were cousins… They started in high school… No I was not a founding member… There were other vocalist before me. The other members would take too long. Google it...LOL.

Q. - Why did you change the name for Gothic Slam? Any legal problem?
Dan - Cause it sounded too close to Stryper and I think there were a few other bands called Stryker...Very common amongst the Metal world… No legal issue.



Q. - How about shows? Did you play regularly supporting "Killer Instinct" back then?
Dan - Locally yes and we built our following at that time. Foundation.

Q. - The second album "Just a Face in the Crowd" came through Epic/CBS, produced by Rob "Wacko" Hunter, how did that happen?
Dan - We are one of his first projects… It just happened. No big mystery… He worked a pyramid sound with Alex at the time.



Q. - How did the idea of covering "Thunder And Lightning" came up?
Dan - It was just a cool song to thrash up...We were giving some ideas from different people at the time.

Q. - One of the particularities that caught my attention in Gothic Slam, it was your voice, what influences did you have in the early days?
Dan - Alot of different people from David Coverdale to Ian Gillian to Joey Belladonna...I listen to alot of different vocalist..

Q. - With a stable line up and two notable LPs, why did you split up? What happened that lead to the break?
Dan - Oh the old story of many bands… No one looking out for us, We were very young… Ego… Anger...That ole spinal tap story...lol… Let's just leave it to youth...



Q. - Did you remain in touch all over the years?
Dan - Yes but not much anymore... Klaude Ryker passed away last year..R.I.P. Claude...

Q. - What are your thoughts about the 90's? Did you feel it was bad times for heavy metal bands?
Dan - No not really, Everything changes weather you like it or not... That's life... I understand Nirvana more now then when they first crushed the scene... Good came from that time... Korn, Deftones, POD... Limp Bizkit... Nu Metal scene...

Q. - If I’m not wrong, you were one of the founding members of Ill Niño, but as a guitar player, how did that happen?
Dan - I played Rythm guitar but was not great but have a good chunk sound and could rite riffs... It started with Dave and George from MERAUDER, Then I joined and got Cris Machado in on Bass Guitar.. Honestly I was not a good enough guitarist and they moved on... I just don't like the way it went down but that's life...



Q. - What other projects did you have in the latest years, tell us a bit about it too.
Dan - Oh man I never stopped but could not find the rite situation with the same minded people..I have done solo stuff called BEATDOWN, GHETTO, Then with some local people like MESSONIC, And as of this year was in a band called THUNDERBEAVER...2 years I can't get back...lol..I'm in a new project with some guys and it is all new, No name yet and we are working on songs for  spring 2019..Will see what happens...I'll never stop trying to be in some kinda project even for a short time...It's always a new venture...Some good and some not..

Q. - Do you still try to keep the eighties metal spirit alive?
Dan - Well my attitude and vocal is still from and era I grew up in so I put that stamp on everything I do most of the time and if it is heavier music. Our new project is like CLUTCH, Rage against the machine, Down and SOUND GARDEN...

Q. - In your opinion what are the main differences between the eighties and the reality of today?
Dan - I'm gonna sound old and say...Our thrash metal years were special and no one can really do it like it was only the ones still out there like TESTAMENT AND ANTHRAX and a few others...



Q. - Anything more you want to say, to end up this interview?
My page..

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!




Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...