quarta-feira, 17 de outubro de 2018

Bill K (GanG, Tysondog)




Bill K is best known for being the lead singer for french metal band GanG, but recently got the vacancy for Tysondog lead singer too. We had a chat with him about both bands.

Q. - Hello Bill, so what can you tell us about your musical beginnings in Heavy Metal particularly? Who are your main influences?
Bill - Hello Paulo, All started for me in 80/81. I heard “Antisocial” from French hard rock band TRUST on the radio; This changed my life!!! Then I went to London with my school in 81 and get my first album there; “Killers” from Iron Maiden. I get the virus!!! I remember also being in a friend of mine’s room listening to his brother tapes, Saxon ‘Motorcycle Man” on the stereo with the motorbike intro. Hell of a time!!!! Really. I was definitely a metal addict. Then, I discovered Scorpions, Metallica, Exodus, and some French bands like Sortilege, H Bomb, ADX or Killers to name few. Those are still my faves one.

About my main influences, well, it’s obvious I am a Maiden / Priest freak. I love those bands. I can’t have any day without listening to a Priest tune or Maiden one. When I feel bad or happy, this gives me the thrill!!! Ever!!!

Bruce Dickinson & Rob Halford are my main vocals inspiration. I love the Dickinson force. The high notes & crazy melodies of Rob. The emotions they shared & brought while listening to their songs. I am definitely not into the well educated singer. I want to feel something when I hear a song. Glenn Hugues, Dio, Gillan,... all of them have their own signature; You can recognize them easily, rapidly. I love when fans are telling me, I’ve got mine.



Q. - "All for One" is out now, what expectations do you have for it?
Bill - We have great expectations on it. First of all, we do apologize for delays & we hope our fans to like it. The feedback we get now is really good. Lots of good feeling, really. We just hope this album to help us to make a step ‘orward as each of our releases did. You know, we don’t expect to become the next big thing. We just want to spread our old school / NWOBHM made in France music & to play everywhere. Gigging is our main thing. Being altogether, sharing good funny times & meeting people. All in the name of heavy metal. Beware, we are not those kind of new wave of true thing. We definitely now try to be older than we are or to play music that are not yours. We belong to Heavy Metal, the one that came from the 80’s and we grew up with it. We are really excited with All for One, cos We‘ve got strong belief in those songs and on this album.  Every one is saying it, but it’s sincerely our best release to date, both in terms of writing process, than production.



Q. - Where did you record "All for One"? Did you take a long time to compose it or it came out naturally?
Bill - We recorded it in my own studio called BGS Musicwww.bgsmusic.fr   I ‘ve bought a lot of gear, a lot of new gear especially for this new album. The writing process was short. I do get less than three months to compose 8 finished songs and make demos. I’ve got a 9th one, but I thought that 8 was enough. Finally at least, we add another track.... a cover of French veteran and friends Attentat Rock.

Fortunately, the writing process was really easy. All came naturally.



Q. - What's the main differences between "All for One" and the previous one "Inject the Venom"?
Bill - The main difference is the writing process. As said before, I compose this album in less than 3 months. “Inject the Venom” was more a collection of songs I wrote from the past 10 years. The fact is that when I get into Gang in 2000. I was involved in production. I get my own record company & lots of business. The lads asked me to do a guest on “Piece of war” album. I said yes. I was no singing in a band anymore at that time. We had fun & the guys never told me to go back home. So I stayed as a permanent guest J. But I claimed I won’t be involved in the writing process. I get my own business, releasing albums, doing distribution, promotion. I used to write in my previous band. But as a guest, it has no sense to write. But, as I was this kind of permanent guest, I use to change things in songs here & there, playing some additional parts too. And I was still composing songs, when I get time. With time passing by, I then realise that I get a full album ready to be out. I thought to release a kind of solo thing, just to get my songs out on CD. But we were in Gang, sitting around & having a chat. Steve said something like “Hey guys, we ll do a new album for next year” Ok. Steve already gets my own song & had listened to it. But it was not really some Gang ones. One year later or more, we get no GanG songs. Steve & Philty the main composers were probably dry!! So I told everybody” well guys, we were supposed to get an album. There’s no songs left anymore. We often talk about our love to heavy metal, to NWOBHM, to the one that created it. You know I‘ve got one album ready. It’s a bit more different than we used to release in the past”. We get that special EP “HM 666%” which is probably one of our best seller to date. It’s just cover of classics songs, from Saxon, Scorpions, Black Sab’, Motorhead. That what we love for ages. We called it our “coming out” CD. So, at that point, all the guys agreed on using my songs for “Inject the Venom”. It was, after all, just Heavy Metal songs inspired by NWOBHM, songs what we love, songs what we love to hear.

This album has so been out. We massively toured Europe & did a live album called “Live is All”. Then, Steve was here again with all of us, sitting around, having a chat... you know what I mean J. Steve said us : “ Well guys, you know the thing, we have to do another album. Let’s take a full year break writing it altogether and then we’ll pick up the best.”



This full year break turns into a full year tour again. And when we were back home. We sat around again. Who’s get some songs around? Nobody gets...  I was the one again that found time to compose some. But this time, as we were on tour, and as the previous one was a collection, I take care of composing in a short time.

This ended with those 8 tracks. And the main difference is that I wrote it faster & have been more focused on details, on diversity, on various pace and surroundings. At the end, it makes a stronger album, I think.

The other big difference is the production. We took so much time to make it good. I invested in some new professional gear & the difference is huge!

Q. - Will you go out on tour, or try to play some festivals in support of the album?
Bill - Yes of course. As I said, when I joined the band in 2000, we were not supposed to tour anymore. I thought I couldn’t do it anymore. Steve asked for a one shot in 2010 in our hometown. It was to celebrate 20 years of Gang. Let’ do it.... the one shot became a massive tour. Every year, we did more & more gig, more & more venues...

So, we are now about to tour again. France, of course, Belgium, UK, Cyprus... We hope to go back in Greece, do Germany & The Netherlands too. We love to be on stage. We are a live band first. Making albums is for us the best way to be back on the road. Why we don’t tour for more than 10 years. That was not our best idea. The guys should have kicked me strong for not doing it!!!!



Q. - For how long have you been Gang's lead singer? How did you join the band?
Bill - I joined in 2000; First as a guest singer. My first band was in 87/88 with Malo, the Gang drummer!!! It was Gloomy Gherkin. French singing!!! We decided in the 90’s to change our moniker into Spasmophilius, sing in English, & release demos & album. Then we stopped in the coming 2K. Used & abused... I get some other bands here or there, no interest. Work commitments & so on. Get also some audition for a Canadian band signed on Metal Blade. But nothing good came. The 90s were not the best times for heavy metal, really. That’s why I get involved in music business & get my own record company. I did some guests like for Blackness albums (early thrash à la overkill, early Testament) & then GanG called me. We were in touch through the releases of our demos and albums. You know what I mean...., the underground thing. So Steve called me & asked me to be a guest on their 3rd concept album “Piece of war”. An album based on personal stories & letters from Sylvain’s Grand father during WW1. We had a lot of fun altogether making it, despite conditions. So, we go on together. We were a studio band with no drummer. But Steve gets this idea to make this unique 20th anniversary gig. That was done!!!



Q. - Do you try to keep the eighties metal spirit alive?
Bill - Yes & no. We’re not trying. I thing we do. But not because it’s old fashioned or so trendy. It’s just what we are. We are all born in the 70’s, so we were young kids when the NWOBHM came. We grew up with those bands. They were no massive add, internet, mass medias,... just some independant radios, one or two dedicated mags, tapes trading, flyers spreading worldwide & sometimes some special TV features lately. We were 13-15 years old when thrash crushed it all with Metallica, Slayer, Venom, Exodus, Slayer,... So that’s part of our life. This is how we grew up. Discovering both Venom & Motley Crue, listening to the old Purple & having fun with Running Wild. There were no differences for us between “Tokyo Tapes” and “Black out” of Scorpions. There was Hard Rock, then Heavy metal then thrash. No f... mathscore doomish djent of progressive black rock thing. This is a joke today!!!

Q. - Being Gang a band formed in the 90's, in your opinion, were the 90's hard times for heavy metal bands?
Bill - Oh yes. The grunge kills it. There were some good bands. Pearl Jam probably, Nirvana. But this was not metal music. Grunge kills it but also some producers adding some new sound and production techniques on some thrash bands. When I see those singers screaming, growling and then doing some poppish melodies, it’s ridiculous. This is not metal. If you want to do pop, do pop. You must assume.  Those Limp Bizkit things to also kill it . This Nu metal scene was a shitty time for me. Of course, there were great ideas coming around. Yes, we must admit, some of the great legends were having some troubles making great albums again. I was fucked up to see Dio with less than 80 people in the venue...it’s not about crying when he died, where were you fuckin silly bastards when he played the town in a 600 people venue with only 80 metal heads.... When Saxon played Paris with 50 people... I hate those silly posers that only does one big big fest a year, just because it’s a big circus & just to say “I do wacken, I do Hellfest”. Where are you false metal heads when those bands were playing your town for only a 20 euros ticket?

But at the end, who is still there!! Purple is still touring, Maiden is still on top, Priest just released some new masterpiece, Scorpions is still on its retirement tour,... the 70’s & 80s idols are still here & active. The 90’s grunge nu, emo core djent, things heroes are for most of them completely disbanded and are no more those MTV bands.

Heavy Metal is about energy, aggressive things, decadence, larger than life things. This is from Van Halen to Kreator, from Venom to Praying Mantis, from Glenn Hugues to Annihilator. Metallica didn’t start with their black album!!!!!



Q. - You got into Tysondog as lead singer in 2017, how did that happen, were you friends before?
Bill - We first met in 2014 while playing the SOS festival in UK. I was a fan. Then we toured together in Greece & made them play in France two times in our own festival. We became great friends & fans. We used to say in GanG that Tysondog is like our big brother, our father. We’re little Tysondog from France. All is based on friendship, pleasure, no cheating, no posers.

That’s a real dream for me joining Tysondog. It all started when we get to play with GanG at Grimm up North in Manchester with lot of great bands, OD Saxon, Grim Reaper & Tysondog to name a few.

Kevin Wynn, the bass mentor of Tysondog called me. He asked me a favour. Can you do a couple of ‘Dog songs with us. I said of course. I’m doing some with Clutch? Kev’ answered me that Clutch won’t be there. No more details. I was working on some live file tapes from Tysondog I recorded in British Steel Fest in France. And of course, I knew the songs a little bit. I said yes. Which songs? Then he sent me a full set!!! That was hell to learn all that lyrics in two days. I couldn't really learn all those lyrics. So I use an Ipad to help. And we did it.

The show we did in Grimm up North was a hellish one. Everybody was convinced & loved it. But Tysondog ‘s voice is Clutch. So the guys asked me to do replacement ‘til Clutch ends with health problem or decided to quit. Then, I did the end of the “Cry Havoc” tour. I promised the guys to do my best on stage. Worked hard on songs & I promised they would have strong headache to find someone else than me.Clutch decided to quit the music business & the end. So Tysondog tried to get a UK based singer, as it’s easier for rehearsal and so on. But finally when we ended our gig in Germany in trveheim, the band told me: Bill you’re definitely in !!! A dream for me.



Q. - It's been three years since the edition of "Cry Havoc", are Tysondog preparing a new album?
Bill - Oh yes. We’ve just done our last 2018 show for the “Cry Havoc” tour. There are already some songs demoed. Most of lyrics are already written too. Now we have to pick up the best ones, do some rehearsals, fix vocal melodies.  We are discussing about the whole process together, the production, the sound we want to have. We really want to release the best Tysondog album so far. The band is really proud of each release. All albums help to built the name & reputation of Tysondog. So, there’s no place to release something weak. There’s a lot of pressure around it. A new singer is not something easy in a band. And as I am involved in GanG, I have to work hard to make a difference between the two bands. I can’t sing the same in both. We’ve already got some ideas about it.



Q. - How would you describe the Tysondog adventure so far?
Bill - Nothing less than awesome, my friend. To be fair, playing with a NWOBHM band, some of my early heroes, it’s just a dream. The guys are awesome. I am in the best conditions to work. They do not ask me to quit GanG or to get priorities schedule. We all try to make our diary works with both bands. Sometimes, I have to sing for both bands in the same venue or festival, but my voice is good & strong enough to do it good for both. The way I sing in Tysondog needs more intensity.It’s more about anger.  GanG is more into classic vocals like with a subtle kinda operatic tune. That Maidenish touch would say Paul. It’s higher in tunes too.

Most of times, we are higher on the bill with Tysondog. So i can do my high tune singing with Gang first, then, my more aggressive voice with Tysondog & it works really well!!!!



Q. - What do you think about all the N.W.O.B.H.M. movement, and the repercussion it had around the world?
Bill - NWOBHM is where all started. Metallica claims and admits they were inspired by NWOBHM. At first there was rock & hard rock bands like Purple, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Queen, then, the world needs something else. Punk & NWOBHM came on earth. Saxon, Maiden, Venom,... Black Sabbath was going down with Ozzy, Priest was not so successful despite superb albums. NWOBHM was about youngsters full of anger & passion. There was some various place & bands. Be it London with Maiden, Chariot, Praying Mantis, or Newcastle with Venom, Raven, Tysondog, Tygers of Pan Tang, ... and a lot more. Some of them just become huge....Some not... why? Who knows. But Speed & Thrash metal was inspired by it. It’s so obvious. The german scene with bands like Helloween, Running Wild, the French scene with H Bomb, ADX, Sortilege, ...Every scene from Europe & USA has been inspired by those now legends. Be it with more aggressive music like thrash metal, be it with a more melodic approach like Motley Crue or some others.



Q. - Besides your good work as lead singer, you manage 7th Sun and BGS-music, how is it doing so far?
Bill - 7venth Sun is just some holydays time. It’s not a real band. I play on all instruments. As I said, “Inject the Venom” was to be a kinda solo album for me, before GanG borrowed it to me. That idea of a solo album stayed in. I get some spare time. And I thought of making this solo thing. As I like to explore various universe, I decided to make it in a Rock style. I become through a big fan of Muse. I like U2, Queen, & some other stuff like that. That was a real challenge to create music in that way. It’s more based on melodies & different energy. But it’s not a live touring project. Just a studio one. When I have time & ideas, I get in my studio & release some ideas, just picking up a guitar, a bass or a keyboard. I do also a little bit of drums too. But I really need to improve myself on it.

BGS Music is my studio. Most of my time, it’s for Gang & live recording. I record every show we organise and our own festival. Then, if bands want a testimony or a live album, let’s make it. I’ve done live recording, mixing & mastering for some of my early heroes, OD Saxon, Fist, Girlschool, MPire of Evil, Venom inc, Attentat Rock, Tygers of Pan tang, Tysondog, Grim reaper, Salem, The Deep, Chariot, Argus... some tracks ends on CD, LPs. Some are not released yet, some will never... or maybe later... I don’t know. I also record some demos for bands or make some studio & albums mixing & mastering. I’ve produced the latest Spirit album for example, a crushing heavy thrash  band hailing from France. I am currently mixing the new Arkhasis album too. I try to help bands with it. It’s more about that than making money, really. & I must say it also strengthen my whole experience in studio production.



Q. - It's been hard for you to be active in Tysondog and Gang at the same time? Being Tysondog from England and Gang from France?
Bill - No. Not really now. Fortunately, our diary fits well together. We are sometimes booked in the same place. That’s good for me. It’s more difficult when I have to travel Europe the same day. In December 2017, I had to play Belgium – Blast of the Past festival with Tysondog. I did it with a strong bronchitis. That was so hard for me. Then we ended up the show. No shower, just my towel & jump in the car to take the shuttle & travel to UK to headline the Mearfest festival in Hastings. We did 3 encores with GanG. I was sick as hell, my voice was making some up & down. But everyone was happy with it & about the energy delivered on shows. Lot of fun anyway. I love being in those two bands. We are just releasing the new GanG & I am about to work & sing on the new Tysondog. It’s just a matter of organisation.

Q. - Hard n’ Heavy music does not pay bills to many people, is It difficult to make this kind of music today?
Bill - I don’t do it for money. I am not a professional singer & do not try to be one. To be fair, it’s hard money to live from music. Even in the 80s. It’s hard to get good money on shows. We need to sell lots of merch to get a good balance. Of course, Tysondog is a bigger name than GanG. But it’s no more a matter of money. We have fun. We give fun. We spend good times in the Dog van travelling Europe. We get some good stories with GanG too. We try to make even bad experiences turned into good ones. Sometimes you can be fucked off by some things here & there on the road. But when we met again, we laugh at it. And if we were only looking for good money on it, it will mean for us doing things to get money. We do what we want, when we want & nobody can impose on us just because it’ll make good money back.



Q. - Anything more you want to say, to end up this interview?
Bill - Well, I thank you for this good time spent together. It’s always a pleasure having a chat with metal fans, sharing times, experiences & knowing more & more from each other. I am please with the new Gang album & with the new adventure with Tysondog. But my main words when I end with an interview is often to say: be curious, do what you want, fuck off trends & people that tell you what to listen to what is good or not. Make your own choice & have fun with it. Music is about pleasure you get listening to it, watching it live.

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!




Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...