quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2018

Leather



Leather Leone, the legendary Chastain lead singer, is back on track again, with her band Leather, and a new album called "II" recorded in Brazil. 

Q. - Hello Leather! Do you recall when you first joined Chastain? Was it around 1984? Tell us a bit about those first days.
Leather - I remember being really interested in the way Chastain wrote.  For me, he created a gothic, neo classical world that I could get lost in...I was very green and still learning the craft.   He always believed in me and would let me go vocally to figure it out.  It was the day of the big studio, many producers,
lots of hopes and dreams.   It was a very natural yet at times frustrating...
The recording process for me still can be claustrophobic...



Q. - Who do you cite as major influences at the time?
Leather - My influences are still the same...Dio, Dickinson ,Tate.

Q. - How was it the Bay Area metal scene in the early 80's? Was it a united scene?
Leather - The 80’s in the Bay Area was a very united place.   We all went to each other’s shows , a definite feeling of family...we were all just making music trying to get signed....good times.



Q. - How were you relations with other local bands? Did you help each other?
Leather - Yes as I said. All the big bands as we know them now were all about comradery.

Q. - And what differences did you feel between the NYC metal scene and the California one?
Leather - I noticed no difference between the coasts. We were all just head banging beasts!

Q. - What do you recall from the Kiss tour back in 87? What memories do you keep from those days? Was it a good chance for Chastain exposure to a massive crowd?
Leather - It was not a Kiss tour, it was one show at The Dayton Arena.   It was Chastain territory so the crowd was crazy!  Of course it was good exposure for the band, but we didn’t continue on the same level.



Q. - Why did you leave Chastain back in 1992? Did you want to concentrate in your solo career? And why were you absent for so many years?
Leather - Chastain came to an amicable end.  We had different ideas of our future…
It was so long ago, it had nothing to do with me wanting a solo career. I looked for other interesting projects and didn’t find any, so I walked away.
There was no one beating down my door… believe me.

Q. - Malibu Barbi came from the ashes of Rude Girl, and got some notoriety in the middle 80's, did you try to approach a record deal at that time?
Leather - As I always say, MB was never my band.  I knew them and did the EP as a favor to them, that’s all it was.



Q. - And what about Sledge Leather, with Sandy Sledge? Will you continue this project?
Leather - There are no plans to continue Sledge Leather....my priority is the Leather band.

Q. - What were the principal reasons for your coming back?
Leather - I came back as a tribute to the loss of Ronnie Dio.  It was my way of dealing with the grief and doing music in his honour.

Q. - Tell me a little bit about your new Leather album "II", what expectations do you have for it?
Leather - When my new manager and I decided to move forward with the boys....I honestly had no expectations.   They knew nothing about my past musical ventures,  so it came from a pure place.   We just all sent our ideas to each other and figured out what worked for us.   The process for me was so easy and natural...I knew this was the next chapter for me....



Q. - Was it easy to find this new line up for Leather? Who's been playing with you lately?
Leather - I wasn’t looking for a new line up...I wasn’t thinking of doing anything new.
When I was on the road with Rob Rock (with the wisdom of my manager, Rodrigo Scelza)...they appeared....we all had an immediate connection...
We had a conversation and decided to see what we could write together.
Now we have “Leather II” and an upcoming North American tour.....we are blessed and taking full advantage of this opportunity.

Q. - Do you consider to play any Chastain songs, when you're on tour as Leather?
Leather - I will always do some Chastain classics, but my main priority is the new Leather material....it’s our time...



Q. - How do you feel being back to the metal scene after all these years? It's good to be back?
Leather - Being back in the game is much more invigorating now that I am wiser...
My level of appreciation and love I have for this band has motivated me to work hard and get better...Vinnie Tex (my main writer) has kicked me in the ass.  He pushes me and takes no crap. I look forward to our new collaboration.

Q. - In your opinion what are the main differences between the eighties and the reality of today? Do you keep an eye to the metal scene of today?
Leather - The main difference is that labels are now longer needed to put your creation out there... A blessing and a curse.   How do you stand out today?
But coming from my school thought.....do music because you are in love with her, do it because you have to.....that has always been my reward ...to see a thought become a song that we all relate to....



Q. - After all these years, do you still "bleed metal"?
Leather - I bleed deeper and darker than I ever have. My new family has pulled me back in time to move forward...for them and Ronnie I wave the flag!

Q. - How do you want to end up this interview? Anything more you want to say?
Leather - I want to thank all of you who have continued to believe in me.   All of you....
We plan on taking “Leather II” all over the world to share it with you.
Love and Dio always....stay tuned to ttps://www.facebook.com/leatherleoneband
https://www.facebook.com/LeatherLeone

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...