quarta-feira, 6 de maio de 2020

Austin M. Carrino (Lust)




LUST was a late 70's Californian Melodic Metal Band, from The Hollywood Music Scene, That recently released their compilation Hollywood Roxx 1976-80. We had a chat with main man Austin M. Carrino, to know more about this underrated band.

Q. - Hello Austin, tell us a bit about the origins of Lust, how and when did it all start? How did you get in touch with the other members?
Austin - We started LUST in junior high school with my life long-time friend... Curtis W. Stewart, bassist. We went through different personal through the years. I was introduced to Liam Jason by Vernon Poole from high school... we jammed... I invited Curtis to play bass... Liam brought in Keith Deen (Greene). After a few years... Curtis got married and moved away. I found Richard Sanchez, the bass player in a newspaper ad... we jammed... I brought Liam and Keith back into LUST... This version was together about 5 years.



Q. - Do you remember how the name Lust came up?
Austin - 1973-74, During a break from rehearsing one day, we were all throwing out there possible band names... It was 100% Curtis W. Stewart's name idea from that point on.. When Curtis left the band, he gave it to me. I then registered the band name around 1976-77.

Q. - Who were your major influences at that time?
Austin - Keith Deen's all-time favourite band was The Who, as in Roger Daltrey... He also liked Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Freddie Mercury and I'm sure others.
Liam Jason was into Queen, Grand Funk Railroad's drummer, Don Brewer and Deep Purple's drummer Ian Paice. And of course, the mighty John Bonham.
Richard Sanchez's influences were Deep Purple, Alice Cooper (and bassist Dennis Dunaway), Ten Years After (and bassist Leo Lyons) and of course, The Beatles.
For myself, I was a total Zeppelin, Jimmy Page fan. But many players influenced me.. Mark Farner, John Fogerty, Ritchie Blackmore, Ted Nugent, Ace Frehley to name a few.



Q. - In the early days, did you start writing your own songs or were you most concentrated on covers?
Austin - I started writing my own original music in junior high school. My 1st Copyright registered in 1974. But we mainly played covers until Keith and I started bringing in originals around 1976.

Q. - Do you have any special memories from the shows you played back then? Is there any funny moment that you can share with us?
Austin - The 1st biggie was playing at Buddy Ebsen's house for his daughter. There was over 1000 people there in and on the outside of their fenced in pool yard… it was like a giant Green House.. We played for 3 to 4 hours with helicopters flying over us. Finished our time, tore down and trucks loaded by time the police showed up... "Where's The Band".
2ndly… Being the headlining band at a outdoor concert in Simi Valley, California with several other bands.. Thus, the CD cover picture and 1 or 2 booklet pictures.
3rdly... Playing the same clubs and circuits with many of the bigger LA bands of the time... Van Halen, Wolfgang, Riot, etc.! On the same stages has some of our influences, like the Doors, Lee Michaels, Quiet Riot, early Motley Crue, etc!



Q. - Did you try to approach a label, to record an LP with Lust at that time?
Austin - This is a very touchy question that I legally can't say much about...
Yes! I was the one doing all the leg work contacting several labels. Atlantic, Capitol, Casablanca, CBS, Columbia, Fantasy and Warner Brothers, to name a few... I was either setting up face to face meetings with their reps or the old fashioned Snail Mailing many out of state labels, like their New York headquarters. I still have many typed return letters from the out of towners in my photo albums... I MUST stop there.

Q. - What do you think that went wrong at that time, so that Lust did not have continuity? What happened that lead to the break?
Austin - They kicked me out of my own band... or should I say Liam kicked me out because he wanted to run the band his way... so I left peacefully and Danny was brought in... They played a few gigs and then broke up due to Danny's drug problem. so I heard. It Failed...! I was asked to come back in and we played several gigs. Then Liam quit the band.
Keith, Richard and I found a new drummer (Craig) and played for like 6 months, recording 3 songs (Tracks 1, 2 & 3) and split up... the chemistry just didn't work....
We asked Liam to re-record 2 of the 3 drum tracks. 1 and 3 on the CD. He did it very well I might add. Great Drummer!
Our last show was at the Bla Bla Cafe on Ventura Blvd with Liam, late 1980.



Q. - Were you happy with the edition of "Hollywood Roxx 1976-80: Studio Sessions" by Dyamond Roxx in 2019? Was it like a dream come true?
Austin - Stoked... 99% Thrilled with the artwork, with the exception of 2 typo's on the actual CD print. Neither Francisco nor I caught it until after the fact. And there was a few other promo pictures I would have chosen for the artwork. Otherwise, I was Vibrating with excitement.
My only wish is that I could have remastered all the tracks from the original reel to reel tapes myself. Instead of using the mp3 files. No reflection or negativity towards Francisco himself whatsoever.. In the remastering process, the high end is nearly completely gone around 15 or 16k and up. And the bottom end was boosted too high in my opinion... So when I play the disc in my vehicle or home stereo, I have to boost the treble all the way up and drop the bass to zero or less than zero… with the loudness Off to get closer to the original recordings... So the high end of the cymbals and high end of Keith's voice and my 2 or 3 guitar parts are nearly non-existent. Janne's ear is different than mine… again, no hard feelings or resentments to anyone.
I am so vibrating with excitement to finally get the attention and CD release long-time coming… I wish Keith was here to see and hear the results of OUR years of hard work and creativity. We all miss our brother in arms.

Q. - Some years after the split Keith Deen joined Holy Terror, were you surprised by this new direction Keith was looking for?
Austin - Keith told me... he wasn't looking for it... It found him... but Yes and yet… No!

Q. - Did you follow his career in Holy Terror? What did you think of this band?
Austin - Yes... I have a few of their CD's. His bandmates and I are all friends on facebook and talk at least once a year.

Q. - Keith Deen left us in 2012, what's your thoughts about his passing?
Austin - In the last months, weeks and days we talked often on the phone... We were planning on writing new tunes, recording And doing a LUST reunion... If not do a small tour... We had already exchanged tape recordings of some new song ideas... Reunion was tentatively set for September 2012 in LA.
WE believed in each other...
I miss the man and real friend...



Q. - Did you stay in touch with the other former members all over the years?
Austin - Yes. We talk frequently. Phone, text, email, online. We are fans of each other.

Q. - Tell us a bit about your solo project Awesome Austin, did you try to release a solo album?
Austin - Yes... Track 8 on the CD was the start of this adventure.. I was playing solo shows at the Radison hotel lounge and Holiday Inn lounge in Downtown Hollywood when I was asked to record in a recording studio in Santa Monica, California. While mixing down one track I was approached by the producer to record several single 45's for a major label. Again.... I MUST stop here.

Q. - How do you see the hard rock and heavy metal scenes nowadays? Do you keep an eye on what's going on?
Austin - To me, it all sounds the same... Every band seems to use the same song writing formula.
Yes, I keep one eye open and at least one ear to the radio and or TV. There are a few bands or songs I really, really like, but I'm not naming names here.

Q. - So what are you doing these days? Do you still play in any band? Tell us a bit about it.
Austin - I'm retired... but YES! I still play in a band. It's more for fun then anything else. Lol... The Big Bucks... lol
I'm playing in a local band called "The Tony Faith Band". Covers and some original Rock. We are on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc.!



Q. - How do you want to end up this interview? Anything more you want to say?
Austin - Hollywood Roxx 1976-1980; Studio Sessions (Remastered) (Import)
by LUST,
Keith Deen (Vocalist) (Holy Terror)
Austin M. Carrino (Guitarist) (True Form, Network, Detroit Miss, Rukkus, Man's Ruin)
Liam Jason (Drummer) (Warrior, Rhino Bucket)
Rich Sanchez (Bassist) (Julie Hawkins Band, Run Bambe Run, Northstar)

The band with Liam, Keith, Richard and I worked... The chemistry was right on.. except Liam wanted everything his way and I wasn't having it... it was my band, I wrote all the music and Keith wrote all the lyrics.... Liam should have been democratic or silent. Again it was really Keith and I. I have to admit... Liam is/was the best drummer I ever played with and I did respect most of his input and ideas... but it was Liam that destroyed the band... LUST.... not Keith, not Richard..... not me..., it was Liam... and he knows it too....

Keith & I still worked together for a while... and then we got too busy with life and lost touch... me, my wife, and kids.. I had to earn money now to help pay for those nearest me.... I believe LUST could have been the next BIG band, if WE didn't all FUCK it up.... I miss that part of my own life these days.... It is one of my fondest memories....

RIP Keith

Austin M. Carrino &
Richard Sanchez
2020

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!





Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...