sábado, 23 de junho de 2018

Dave Hogg (Angel Witch)




Dave Hogg was the drummer of Angel Witch, in different times, during the eighties, he was part of their classic line-up with Kevin Heybourne and Kevin Riddles, having recorded their seminal self-titled, first album, and later Screamin' n' Bleedin'. We talked to him to know a little more about his time with the band.

Q. - When you first join the band in 78 with Kevin Riddles, they were known by the name of "Lucifer", and it was as a quartet, tell us a bit about those days.
Dave - I saw Angel Witch as a five piece at a pub in SE London. Their then Drummer was leaving to go into more commercial pop music. I offered myself as audition which was accepted later that month.
I never knew AW as Lucifer and Kevin Riddles was to join the band later after me.



Q. - Shortly after the name change, Bob Downing left, why did it happen?
Dave - I think Rob wanted more lead guitar breaks which caused rifts between Kevin H and manager Heybourne (Ken) Rob was given ultimatum in the bands strategy to move on, but being of stubborn nature… Rob said “Goodbye”.
I was shocked that this came to this. I had no say in the matter.

Q. - The single "Sweet Danger", was released by "EMI", so was the song "Baphomet" for "Metal For Muthas" compilation, but you released the album on "Bronze Records", weren't you happy with the work done by "EMI"?
Dave - EMI Offered a deal which i would've gladly accepted. Ken Heybourne thought he would get a better deal, from an Independent company.
The deal he got from Bronze was exactly the same. Personally i would've opt for the national industry of EMI. Consequently EMI's deal was offered to Iron Maiden!



Q. - The self-titled debut album, is considered one of the most notable from the NWOBHM, but instead of a sequence, the band fall apart, how do you explain that?
Dave - Firstly, I was totally fuming about The debut album and it mix downs.
I never considered this album to be a true copy of the band, or its live performances.
I believe the record company made AW terminate my contract, I have never known as to the reason of my sacking.
Angel Witch tried to continue with Dave Dufort, but DD would never have the same input which I had with the band…Consequently the Record company terminated the whole of Angel witch contract.



Q. - Why did you leave Angel Witch back in 81?
Dave – hahaha As above and so below…
I was sacked !

Q. - Weren't you satisfied with the production of the debut album?
Dave - The production of the album was doing ok, we were working hard touring at the same time. The mix down was done in our absence, there was no looking back.... (it couldn't be re mixed at this point), I was absolutely fuming that this sounds nothing like Angel witch were live.
It's polished up so much that the power has been lost.



Q. - What about the Music Machine gig on May 8, 1979, with Samson and Maiden? Did you see it like some kind of re-emergence of the heavy metal movement?
Dave - I cannot re-call that particular Music machine gig, We played there often through 1979-80, There definitely was something happening in the UK following the punk scene. We just liked what we played and most of the UK thought the same.

Q. - What memories do you keep from that particular show? Would you define it as one of Angel Witch's finest hour?
Dave - My memories cannot guide to one show, I have great memories to many, many shows.
It was amazing to explore the big cities in England, especially as we received enormous reactions from fans who had only read of us in the music press. It just proved we were as good as the press made out. I must stress that Angel witch's live shows, were far more exciting than any album produced. I'd love to re-record in the US of A.

Q. - Around 84, you return, but the band was using the name Blind Fury, with Lou Taylor on vocals, were you trying a new approach?
Dave – NO…Angel witch was only Kevin Heybourne at that time, he had a spell with Blind fury but that wasn’t working. Ken Heybourne turned up at my house and asked if I would re-join Angel witch with the exception of Kevin Riddles. I was fore the re-join but disappointed about leaving out Riddles. However Kevin H recruited Pete Gordelia who I got on well with, and recorded “Screamin” & Bleedin’.



Q. - By the time you recorded Screamin' n' Bleedin' in 85, the band return to the name Angel Witch, with Dave Tattum on vocals, how did that happened?
Dave – In the spell of 81-85 I was in a band (Black Jaque Shallaque) with Rob Downing, Andy King, Ian Barbour, and Dave Tattum.
Kevin was having trouble with he’s voice for a period and Dave Tattum used to tour with us. Just as a matter of fact. DT knew the songs and came on one night.
He then did several nights, so we decided to record Screamin and bleeding with Tattum on most vocals.
To this day, I think was a big mistake… don’t get me wrong, Dave Tattum is a brilliant vocalist but not for Angel Witch.



Q. - The band have split-up and reformed several times over the years, this may be the reason why they didn't achieve great success?
Dave – No…England is a very fashionable country both in clothing, music, and the arts.
NWOBHM began in 1978 around the fade of the Punk era, The metal fashion lasted till 1981…Those bands that were signed either had success or terminated contracts, Angel witch was one of the most successful in their own right, It was the business that collapsed the band.

Q. - After you leave for the second time you were in a project with Dave Tattum on vocals, wasn't it? Tell us a bit about it.
Dave – I was sacked for the second time, I had no faith in our new Agency.
It was that agency that didn’t like me either. AW was hanging on with what they had.
I personally knew it was a very long way back up that ladder, and I wasn’t going to do that again.

Q. - What do you think of Angel Witch actually?
Dave – I think Angel witch are/were a brilliant band, All that AW was about was doing live shows to their 1000s of fans as professionally as amateurs could round the uk at that time. We had a great team in Chris Rogers live sound and chief stage manager.
Kev Meagher Lighting and pyrotechnics and a few others I can’t remember right now.
AW were one of the first Amateur metal band to put on such shows.



Q. - Was there any song that you liked to play most?
Dave – Yes…… ALL OF THEM!! xx

Q. - So what are you doing these days? Do you still play in any band? Tell us a bit about it.
Dave – Hahaha you’ve got to be kidding me 62??? I’m not starting now!!
I was only for Angel witch. Nothing else mattered

Q. - I think you talked to Jon Torres (R.I.P.) about forming a new band, before he passed away in 2013, was there something in concrete?
Dave - No… I talked to Jon, we were worlds apart, A Damn nice fella…If it were possible at that time I would’ve had a jam.



Q. - Did you stay in touch with former Angel Witch members over the years?
Dave – No, I lost contacts with everyone. The internet for me was about 2004 it’s only since then I’ve gradually been in touch.
Kevin Heybourne and I wasn’t seeing terms. We broke the ice when I turned up at a gig in London’s Camden town 3 years ago, but don’t communicate much, same as Kevin Riddles xx

Q. - Do you keep an eye to the metal scene of today? What do you think are the main differences between now and back in the day?
Dave – I don’t keep up with what’s happening, I just like what I hear sometimes.
There are some great bands about, but I don’t think it will be as it began.
Only the supergroups will live a legacy.



Q. - Do you miss those days of early Angel Witch? Would you like to tour with them at least one more time?
Dave – Yes I miss it all like mad but the enthusiasm has gone in the business.
Yes I’d love to tour again with those young masters.

Q. - Anything more you want to say, to end up this interview?
Dave – Yes… Thank you for inviting me to interview, I’m humbled.
And sorry it’s late getting back to you. I hope you receive it.

Thank you for your time, and wish you all the best for the future!
Dave - Thanks Paulo.




Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid

  Simon Adams A.K.A. Bandwagon Sid, was a regular at the Bandwagon (Soundhouse), in the early days of the NWOBHM movement, even winning the ...